Procedural Generation of Asteroids
Procedural 3D Asteroid Surface Detail Synthesis
We present a novel noise model to procedurally generate volumetric terrain on implicit surfaces. The main idea is to combine a novel Locally Controlled 3D Spot noise (LCSN) for authoring the macro structures and 3D Gabor noise to add micro details. More specifically, a spatially-defined kernel formulation in combination with an impulse distribution enables the LCSN to generate arbitrary size craters and boulders, while the Gabor noise generates stochastic Gaussian details. The corresponding metaball positions in the underlying implicit surface preserve locality to avoid the globality of traditional procedural noise textures, which yields an essential feature that is often missing in procedural texture based terrain generators. Furthermore, different noise-based primitives are integrated through operators, i.e. blending, replacing, or warping into the complex volumetric terrain. The result is a completely implicit representation and, as such, has the advantage of compactness as well as flexible user control. We applied our method to generating high quality asteroid meshes with fine surface details.
- We present an original procedural asteroid synthesis method - AstroGen. Full automatic generation of almost endless variations for a given ground truth asteroid model within a pre-defined error bound. However, the parameters of the synthetization algorithm are easy to understand which makes it easy to manually adjust the generated models.
- We present a new spatial defined kernel formulation of spot noise relying on several intuitive parameters to generate arbitrary sized craters and boulders and an integration of GNBE with our 3D noise model which can extract noise parameters from example textures.
- High performance: due to an almost full GPU implementation of all time consuming parts of the algorithm.
- Arbitrary Resolutions: due to the implicit representation it is easy to generate polygonal models at any resolution with the marching cube algorithm.
- Procedural 3D Asteroid Surface Detail Synthesis, EGEV 2020, Norrköping, Sweden, May 25 - 29, 2020.
- AstroGen – Procedural Generation of Highly Detailed Asteroid Models, ICARCV 2018, Singapore, November 18 - 21, 2018.
- Invariant Local Shape Descriptors: Classification of Large-Scale Shapes with Local Dissimilarities, Computer Graphics International 2017, Yokohoma, Japan, June 27 - 30, 2017.
Talk at EGVE
Talk at ICARCV
Talk at CGI
- Source code (will come soon)